Communication 🗣 is the foundation of all healthy relationships.
Barriers to effective communication:
Judging the other person
Not paying attention to the person you are talking to
Giving solutions or unwanted advice
Avoiding the concerns of others
9 effective communication skills:
1. Active listening 👂 -be attentive to what the other person is saying
2. Pay attention to non verbal cues-this includes facial expressions 🧐, tone and pitch of their voice and gestures displayed through body language
3. Ask questions-to ensure you understand and ask questions to show you are interested
4. Be clear- what is your purpose in communication with this person?
5. Clarify and summarize-this shows you are listening and understand the message
6. Empathize-the ability to understand and share the feelings of the other person
7. Provide feedback-give feedback to improve the situation. You won’t accomplish that being harsh, critical or offensive.
8. Develop trust and rapport
9. Be present-this allows us to be in the moment to accept the person you are communicating with