In counseling, I assist clients in developing counseling goals and together we review these goals throughout the counseling process in order to determine growth and change.
Sometimes, I have clients who struggle to see progress due to the lack of outward, visible changes. It is important to remember that counseling is a mental workout that yields many benefits; however, not being able to outwardly see progress can lead to skepticism and frustration.
Unlike other self-help services such as a workout at a gym that provides outward results of weight loss and better fitting clothes overtime, counseling clients obtain success with emotional results only.
Below are some or all of the emotional results one might obtain:
* Change in how you talk. You are more goal-oriented, present and start talking with more optimism.
* You recognize triggers and make better choices.
* Your confidence is increased. You statements start to reflect increased self-worth and acceptance.
* Symptoms reduce. You start to feel less of the signs and symptoms that brought you into counseling.
* You have a clear understanding of the things you have no control over versus the things you do.
* You make choices that improve how you feel and lead to good health
Making progress and improving your mental health takes time. Don't give up on your process when you do not receive the results you want right away. Stick with counseling and be mindful of the progress you achieve--no matter how small.
Tracy Cooper is a licensed professional counselor and the co-owner of Fit Therapy of Texas, where she helps adults, couples, and teens reach their goals. She understands that life can be hard and full of challenges. Tracy believes counseling can help with navigating through such challengs and would like to help. Call 210.495.3131 to schedule an appointment.